Monday, 9 March 2015

Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe!

Good evening lovelies!

Slightly different post today but I thought that I would share the recipe that I use to make these super yummy red velvet cupcakes! The recipe that I use is Nigella Lawson - Red Velvet Cupcakes as it is relatively easy to follow, but I have tweaked it ever so slightly :)


Ingredients:

Cupcakes

250 grams plain flour
tablespoons cocoa powder (sifted)
teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100 grams soft unsalted butter
200 grams caster sugar
1 tablespoon red food colouring
teaspoons vanilla extract
large eggs
175 ml buttermilk
teaspoon cider vinegar

Cream cheese icing

500 grams icing sugar
125 grams cream cheese
125 grams soft unsalted butter
teaspoon cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Method:

Cupcakes

1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and line your tins
2. Mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth then add the food colouring and vanilla extract
4. Whilst still beating, add 1 spoonful of dry ingredients and 1 egg into this mixture then another spoonful of dry mix and an the other egg. Finally add the rest of the dry mix.
5. To finish add the buttermilk and cider vinegar, then pour the mixture into the cases and bake for around 20 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack


Cream cheese icing

1. Sift the icing sugar to remove any lumps
2. Combine with the cream cheese and butter, then add the cider vinegar. I tend to add a teaspoon or 2 of vanilla extract here to sweeten, but you can do it without just depends on your sweet tooth.
3. Ice the cakes once fully cooled
4. Add any decoration you wish, I tend to use either sprinkles or freeze dried raspberries! :)


Hope you enjoyed this post, I love baking so let me know in the comments if you would like some more like these! Also let me know if you try make them, I hope you find them as yummy as I do! :)

Maisie xx




6 comments:

  1. Always love a food related post and these look fab <3

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've got a few more on the way soon hopefully! :) xx

      Delete
  2. this looks wonderful, I need to try x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! You do! They are so tasty :) xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are super simple promise! :) you should give them a go xx

      Delete